Friday, May 23, 2008

Let's Ban All the Bombs, Conventional, Nuclear, All of Them!




I have observed the widespread focus that millions of us have on bombs in our personal imaginations. Popular movies often include lots of bombs going off. Of course, some movies sanitize the effects of a bomb and another kind, rarer I think, reveals the terrible consequences of bombing.

Bombs are very bad things. Mining with explosives is fine as far as the explosives go. Then they are not used to harm others but to facilitate the production of valuable ores. A bomb is different. A bomb is an explosive designed and used to harm others. So the purpose of the explosive is crucial. An explosive demolition of a building is not meant to harm others and so it is not a bombing in this sense. Obviously McVey in Oklahoma misused fertilizer, abused it so to speak, to harm others and so we see it, quite appropriately, as a reprehensible bombing. Of course munitions that are bombs are generally meant to harm others and so they should be targets of disarmament efforts.

Now, we somehow think that the use of bombs by the military is, just fine and even romantic or cool. I don't think everyone thinks this but there is a huge tendency to look at the bombing of other nations as a legitimate and even festive thing for the United States to do.

The bombing of things living or not is a pretty naughty thing to do and I think it shouldn't be romanticized, even when we do it. Let's try to solve our problems, especially our serious ones without trying to blow each other up. What a vision!

So, I suppose I should say that bombs are always bad in the sense that they are designed to harm. Lets not bomb each other anymore. This is the impossible? dream?


No comments: